Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Review: Mystic Wand

I've played with a few different wand style massagers/vibrators in my time as a reviewer, and I have to say that the Mystic Wand by Vibratex truly deserves the title of Really Frickin Awesome. It's proof that some designers really are listening to what we say about our sex toys.

"I love the Hitachi, but I wish the head was sterilizeable." Silicone head, check
"I love my Wahl, but I wish I could take it in the shower" Waterproof design, check
"I love my massager, but it's so big that it's hard to use during sex" Smaller shape, check
"I love the power, but I can't deal with how buzzy and loud some massagers are" Deep vibrations and modest noise level motor, check
"I love my massager, but I wish there were patterns of vibration instead of just 2 or 3 solid speeds" And also check.

The Mystic Wand fills a niche that we've been demanding be filled for years. This little powerhouse is small enough to toss in an overnight bag, or even a large purse. It's lighter than many massagers, so your hand doesn't get tired after the first few minutes. The velvety covering of the handle means it doesn't get as slippery. It's got a dedicated on/off switch. The head is made of fully sterilizable silicone, which by itself would have made this a good buy. (you're going to have to work to get gunk out of the grooved head, though) It's waterproof, too, if it wasn't already awesome enough.

When it comes down to it, though, what really makes or breaks a massager is the motor. Is it strong enough to compare to that benchmark of massagers-turned-vibrators, the Hitachi?

No, the Mystic Wand is not quite as powerful as the Hitachi, nor Wahl. However, it's the closest I've ever seen a battery powered toy get to such power.  The vibrations are much deeper than the Hitachi, so you numb up much less quickly. Though lacking a little of the sheer power, its serious advantage is that it was designed from the very beginning to be a sex toy. They made it sterilizable, water-safe, and practical for maneuvering during sex. They made it run on the omnipresent AA batteries - while a rechargeable toy is nice, that would have seriously driven up the price.

And, shock of shocks, this toy is actually attractive! The Hitachi is an old looking, clunky beast. The Wahl is just plain ugly, much beloved though it is. The Ideal just looks plain strange. The Mystic Wand doesn't look out of place in a bag of sex toys, but you could leave it on your desk and pass it off as an honest back massager.

At the end of the day, is the Mystic Wand worth buying? Even if you already have one of the classic powerhouse beasts? Yes, definitely. There are some situations where a corded toy just isn't practical or discrete enough. I can wholeheartedly say that this is a toy I can stand behind as worth going out and buying.

Thank you, Babeland!





This product was provided to me free of charge by Babeland in exchange for an unbiased review. This review is in compliance with the FTC guidelines.

2 comments:

  1. I am excited about this massager! I literally just got this in the mail (at work). It is actually my first wand massager and your comparisons assured me that I made the right decision.

    Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I'm glad I was able to help. Personally, I'm torn between this and the Wahl for favorite, but the Wahl isn't waterproof. ;)

    ReplyDelete