Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Revelations, Transitions, and Questions

My father is transgendered. He should have been born a woman. (I will be using the male pronouns for now, at his request) And now, after 50 years of living as a man, repressing every urge to be the woman he should have been, he has begun his transition. While it was a shock at first, and not the easiest thing to adjust to, going through this together has really brought our family together. Contrary to his fears, my mother didn't kick him out, and my little sister and I didn't reject him. It's been harder than we expected, but we still love him and eventually her.


I'm going to be writing a series of articles over at Eden Cafe about being the daughter of a transitioning male-to-female (MTF) parent. I haven't quite decided what exact topics I will be writing about, so I'd love some input. What would you like to hear? What do you want to know about all this?

2 comments:

  1. This is good news. I'd like to hear what it's like for you when other people aren't so welcoming. It is often hard for to stay positive while someone I care about is transitioning when other people are negative. Not that I don't want him to do what makes him happy - just that it hurts me when other people are respectful. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, and it makes a lot of sense! Unless something happens between now and when I write it, though, that would be mostly speculative for us. Not many people know yet, but so far everyone's been very welcoming and supportive. It boggles my mind how lucky we've been so far.

    ReplyDelete