Sunday, February 21, 2010

Review: Better Than Chocolate

Ah, the Better Than Chocolate. Since Nomi Tang announced its coming, the sex toy world has been abuzz with speculation and curiosity. Could it really be better than chocolate?

The BTC is an innovative, ergonomic clitoral vibrator. It's got a really cool new control slide. The design looks like something straight out of Star Trek. It's got this absolutely delicious coating that's soft and touchable and all-around wonderful. But for all its cool-cred, it's not my ultimate vibrator.

It's really ergonomic - sort of . The problem with the BTC's ergonomic design is that it assumes a standard body shape, and that often meets with problems. For me, any way of nestling the BTC in ergonomically left the center of vibrations tantalizingly far from my clitoris. The most comfortable position, unfortunately, held the BTC's tip halfway between my vagina and my clitoris. Yes, there are lots of lovely nerve endings there, but I want to play with my clitoris, damn it! Rocking the toy up along my pubic bone to get the tip in the right place meant that the back dug into me. Seriously uncomfortable.

My one option for getting that wonderfully rumbly tip on my clit is to tilt the whole damn thing up like a diving dolphin, with only the tip in contact with my lady bits. This is unfortunately very un-ergonomic, and my bad wrist starts aching from the strange angle rather quickly quickly.

But Dr. Lily, it can't be all bad, can it? Surely the lab testing turned up some good results?

Oh my yes. Ignore my rant about the shape for a moment, and lets talk about the rest of the toy.

The BTC is a very low-maintenance toy. The non-porous surface makes it easy to clean with soap and water or toy cleaners and it plays nicely with any lube you want to throw at it. It comes with a velvety storage bag with a tight drawstring closure along the long side. Different, but it fits the toy well, and makes it easy to find in a full toy drawer.

Let me preface this next bit by saying that I adore velvety textures on toys. Absolutely love them, to the point where it has actually been a breaking point on some otherwise great toys that they were smooth. For me, a rigid toy with a velvety texture can make up for a whole heck of a lot.

That said, I want to bring my BTC to bed at night and cuddle it. The nonporous TPR coating is beyond velvety soft. It almost feels like a grippy microfiber. I love it to death, and that texture alone would have made this a must-have toy for me. As long as you don't use too much lube, it's got lots and lots of yummy friction for the clitoris to enjoy.

I'm undecided about the control bar. From a geeky point of view, it's totally rad. You flick your finger across the bar forward to increase the power (or the speed during pulsation), once for each level, and flick your finger down to increase by levels. Hold your finger over the lit NT symbol for a few seconds to switch between steady vibrations and the 2 patterns of pulses. The best part? Hold your finger over the very front of the slide to lock it into whatever setting strikes your fancy, so you don't have to worry about changing it by accident. When the toy gets wet, it automatically locks your setting until you dry off the bar. No worries about the shower changing your setting for you!

Unfortunately, it's not so easy to use as it sounds. First of all, I couldn't for the LIFE of me figure out how to use the controls. I thought a slow, smooth glide up the bar would cycle me through all of the settings in a smooth fashion. Nope, it's a slide per level. Your finger has to hit most of the control bar in that swipe for it to count (to avoid accidental changes, I assume). Too bad for me I have small hands. I have yet to manage to change the setting one-handed (without holding it in a completely bizarre manner that disrupts play just as much as having to reach down with another hand). Until they figure out a way to make it work more easily, I'd rather have a 4-button directional set-up where I can tap the button I want, one handed. Want to keep the locking feature? Make that a 5th button in the middle.

And now, for the most important part: the motor. The BTC is, first and foremost, a vibrator. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing, right? And here is where the jury is still well and truly out for me. It's ridiculously quiet even on the highest setting. But is it strong enough? It definitely has those deep, rumbly vibrations most women prefer. They're some of the deepest, least surface-buzz vibrations I've seen in a little battery-powered toy, especially one that runs on AAA batteries.

The lowest setting is a barely-there vibration so slow you can almost see it wavering back and forth. It's fun for a tease, and for wandering all over each others bodies. The highest setting was, well, not something I'd usually call "high" in another toy. It's nice. If I'm in the mood for a long, sensual session, it's more than enough to get me there, and get me there GOOD. And any time, it's a delightful warm-up or foreplay toy.

But I'm an impatient girl. When I'm just reaching for a clitoral vibrator, I want it to get me off now. If I wasn't impatient, this would be one of my favorite toys, because it almost never fails to bring me to an absolutely wonderful orgasm... eventually. Unfortunately, without another, higher power level, it'll never be my go to vibrator. A vibrator that gets lovin', yes. Favorite, no.

product picture
Clitoral vibrator by Nomi Tang
Material: Non-porous TPR
Safety:
Rating:
Vroom:
Bee:
This product was provided free of charge to the reviewer.

No comments:

Post a Comment